Heart of the World

 More than usual, interactions with other people have been challenging me lately. I asked my astrologer friend what is happening. Can I blame this on something outside of me? Is there something in the air or earth energy or planets that is making us all more irritable, more reactive, less cooperative? I would like my interactions with people to be honest and gentle and sensitive instead of frustrated. This seems a reasonable wish. Yet all too often I've been feeling unhappy with how some human interaction has gone. I know that I need to look to myself for the solution, not blame other people, even though in the moment of frustration it is easy to be tempted to place the blame elsewhere! The only thing that has helped me with this is to sit quietly somewhere outside, and notice what is going on in the natural world.

This morning I could feel myself becoming frustrated with little things. Nothing seemed quite right. I was not patient with my kitty when she threw up in my bedroom. I cursed at the bowl that slipped out of my hands. And I wondered where in the world my 10:00 massage client was, for she was quite late. What saved me was going out on my porch and sitting in the swing to wait for her. There were all sorts of pollinators working the flowers: bees, hummingbirds, wasps, bumblebees, butterflies. They were all going about their business, flitting here and there, filling up. And the hummingbird feeder was attracting not only hummingbirds, but also bees and wasps. The sun was shining. The temperature was delightfully cool. And I could just sit and be present. It turned out to be exactly what I needed. I was part of the landscape, an observer until a hummingbird flew right over my head and reeled me back in. By the time my client got here, with heartfelt apologies, I was happy and relaxed. It was so good that she'd been late, for it allowed me to find a different center.

While I was giving the massage, the same feeling stayed with me. I could look out on the other side of my home through the massage room window, and the pollinators were working blossoms there too. The wind was blowing the vines gently, the birds were flying over on their way somewhere, and I was doing something I love, easing the tight places in my client's body. The way this craniosacral therapy works is a little like sitting and listening. waiting to be shown what to do. My hands tune into the connective tissue, and it pulls me where it needs to go. As I was hovering over the massage table, listening with my hands, with the hum of insects just outside the window, it felt very like I was in the heart of the world.  I had been able to sideskirt the habitual worries and frustrations of my daily life, and go wider and deeper to somewhere not at all personal. I felt part of the whole. I could be who I am, whoever that is, and be connected to everything else. 

I have these experiences now and again, but this centeredness certainly isn't my usual dwelling place. I am not a patient person by nature, as my mother often reminded me. I don't like to wait. So it is a rare treat when I can leave all that impatience behind and just be part of the earth experience. What I wish is that I could be there all the time. There's my impatience again. Yet I know that I can get there if I sit quietly and notice, listen, be aware.  Be a still watcher and let the world guide me to some measure of peace.

Comments

  1. Thank you, Nan, for this thoughtful reminder to listen and be at peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This spoke to me yesterday, when I was "fuming" over the differing advice I was given by 2 doctors, then 2 pharmacists. (No worries--it was a minor medical problem.) While I was in that "What should I do?" state, I took a walk around the small nearby pond.... There were pungent odors; a the variety of colors in the water; multiple shades of green leaves and trees, plants and grass; a scolding Blue Jay; a symphony of both cicadas and crickets; goldenrod; and a large turtle, swimming in the pond.
    By the time I was back home, I realized I had completely "let go" of the earlier conversations I had had. I felt truly centered, and calm.
    As a result, I made my own decision: "Do nothing, and wait and see." The result? My symptoms disappeared on their own!
    Apologies for the lengthy response, but it was important to me to relate it for the sake of my --and others' -- centeredness

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful reminder to step away - and into nature - when frustrations set in...and they do! Thank you for reaching inside and sharing with us from that sacred space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From a friend in Fairfield that follows Jyotish (ancient Indian astrology):

    "We seem to be in a mini-hell right now. Jyotish is about as bad as it can get until end of September when it eases “a little.” So take care, everybody!"

    I found myself becoming hysterically angry last week, towards my partner, over things that in the larger scheme of things aren't really that big of a deal. I shared this with a friend, and she had found herself feeling angry recently too.

    So it could be in the stars, or it could be that we are just all so disappointed that covid really hasn't gone away and we still can't live like we want to without some risk. And that just makes us angry! And it's easy to point that anger in the wrong direction.

    Great reminder that getting some peace and quiet in nature can calm us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy your wisdom. It so often feels like just what I need to hear. Thank you, Nan!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering True Place

We Are in Tough Times

Speaking the Truth of Love