Earth Song and Rain Dance

 Someone once told me that you should post on a blog at least once a week. Woops. I've been tardy now for the past month. Actually, I'm doing research on the difference between native plants and introduced or altered plants, and the effect they have on our world. I WILL write about this soon. In the meantime, someone in my poetry group dug up a poem I wrote years ago, when I still was living on the farm. And I found another one from that time period that speaks about my wish for rain just now. So I'm sharing both of them below. And soon there should be some words about native plants.

Earth Song


Eagles drifting o’er the hillside

Waves of grasses blowing free

Birdsong wakes the dozing fox kits

Green as far as eyes can see.


Ancient roots stretch deeply under

Tips of branches touch the skies

Wisdom lives within this hardwood

Ancient knowing softly sighs.


Underground the earth is moving

Tunnels lengthen, species thrive

Teeming realms of tiny creatures

Building blocks so we survive.


Wind that carries scent from flowers

Water flowing round the bend

All lives in a glorious rhythm

Sacred gifts that never end.


Rain Dance


god of summer weather

who brings wind to chase away mosquitoes

and freshen still air

who shepherds clouds to cool thick heat

and turn colors vivid deep


who pulls up the heavy sun at horizon's far line

to shoot like a drug into green leaves

and warm the rocks of snakes


you who move through our world

with casual power of life and death

might you find it in your cosmic schedule

to blow a little rain my way?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering True Place

We Are in Tough Times

Speaking the Truth of Love