Shadow

 Shadow


Her soft, resonant name describes her nature,

gentle, unassuming, quiet and steadfast,

my sweet feline companion, shiny black coat 

with a white patch under her chin.

Curled up on my bed during the day

or basking in the sun through a south window.


She was the miracle kitty. One morning 

she seemed almost dead. I rushed her to the vet

where they connected her up to life-saving tubes

and miraculously she survived, almost thrived.


She had a heart murmur from the very beginning,

and later an injury that gave her a lasting limp.

We now limp around together in our home,

Both of us putting up with our imperfections,

though she is more patient than I.


She has a streak of independence,

so won’t tolerate being picked up.

But on her own terms, she snuggles up to me

when I am sitting up in bed, my notebook in hand,

she in perfect comfort, purring, purring.


Before sleep, when I’m reading in bed,

she climbs to my side again, a loyal companion.

When I turn off the light, she knows to get down,

curl up in her own small round bed

and sleep nearby, softly snoring.

I wonder if she hears me snore too.


She and I have lived this way together

for four long years, through covid, through

summer and winter, spring and fall.

A simple kind of uncomplicated closeness,

love unburdened with the usual human complexity.

We thrive together, lean into each other,

making a deep feeling of home, Shadow and I.


NF 12/6/22


Comments

  1. Beautiful thoughts! We love our new kitty!! I'm glad you have Shadow to share life with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heart felt... and heart warmed

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering True Place

We Are in Tough Times

Speaking the Truth of Love