In Extremity

They say you should post a blog entry every week. This week I'm in North Carolina playing grandma to my two grandsons while my daughter and her husband are in London. Not a week for much introspection and writing! So here's a poem I wrote last week after a difficult morning with my dentist. She's a great dentist. It was my endurance that was lacking. 


In Extremity 


Today in the dentist’s office

I was placed in an awkward painful position

right beside a special x-ray machine.

I was told that I musn’t move at all.


After several minutes, I began

to give out, to feel rather desperate.

I didn’t want to botch the process

so I called out in my mind for help.


Immediately I felt a huge

white polar bear pressing up

to my side. Comforting, steadying.

I thought: A polar bear???


But it was like a godsend,

just what I needed to survive.

And later in the dentist’s chair

trying to get through the root canal process


the bear stayed with me,

steadfast, solid, giving me company

in my extremity. I was so grateful

my eyes pricked with tears.


NF 1/23/23


Comments

  1. Your twin spirit is strong and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I have a dentist appointment next week. Thanks for sharing - I'll use it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering True Place

We Are in Tough Times

Speaking the Truth of Love