The Personhood of Rivers

 The Personhood of Rivers


This will require a basic shift in attitude.
Even though I love the earth,
advocate for our fellow living beings,
work on dismantling our superior pedestal,
it is a stretch to think of a river as a person.
But I am trying.

I respect the elders who are urging
this change in our culture. They urge us to
stop treating water as a commodity,
to honor its being, to free it from constant entrapment.

Children have the open and curious minds
to see a creek as a friend and teacher,
to sit on its banks or paddle down its current
and merge with its personhood.

If I can remember with my child's heart,
and open my eyes, my ears, my mind,
I'll set off to befriend a body of water,
its twists and turns, its seasons of life,
and celebrate its freedom and intention
as it runs through our world.
Let it be so.

Comments

  1. Let it be so
    Word from a wise heart
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. From my observations, I feel this intimate understanding of a river, or just a short reach, is approached by those that fly fish. The first chapter of Steinbeck's East of Eden is a fantastic description of the cycles of the Salinas River.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo, Nan. Miss you, love JoAnn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering True Place

We Are in Tough Times

Speaking the Truth of Love