An End-of-Day Poem

 My next blog post was to be about compost, composting, the miraculous process that happens without us even noticing. But I still need to do some research, so I'll share a poem I wrote tonight instead. Sometimes at a end of a long day, I like to sit quietly and intentionally think about the good things. And this is what came out tonight. I recommend this evening process, just a few minutes to forget about all the things we have to do, the schedules and responsibilities and challenges. Let the things you love shine through....

Things I’m Thankful for


A brisk breeze on a hot day.

An exchanged glance with a chipmunk

  peeking out from my garden box.

The understanding and acceptance of a friend.

The broad wings of a hawk 

  that sweep it high above the pasture.

Enough water for me and my plants.

The technology that allows me to

  talk to someone far away.

The resilience that lets us

   grow wiser from hard times. 

The love that always shone from my father’s eyes.

A rain cloud just at the point of release.

The way a bonfire brings people together.

The connection of kindred spirits.

The rousing cheer from the crowd

  after a home run.

The purr of a kitty curled up on your lap.


Comments

  1. Yes, thank you. Just what I needed today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You find such beauty all around you! What a cheerleader for life! And on the other end of the day, while taking that first sip of coffee, we can ask ourselves, "How can I enjoy my day?" Thanks to Mary Pipher for that one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Are in Tough Times

The Magnitude of Trees

Recovering in Asheville